So here was my random, cool thought for the genealogical week: Using people from your genealogical data, how far separated are you from famous figures in American history? Let’s start with George Washington…since he’s the one that got me wondering.
Here’s my theoretical connection:
- I’ve shaken hands with my grandfather, Walter Staats.
- Walter Staats has shaken hands with his grandfather (my gg grandfather), Alexander A. Staats.
- Alexander Staats, although only 6 years old when his grandfather died, may have shaken his grandfather, Elijah Staats’ hand (my gggg grandfather)
- Elijah Staats was an Original Proprietor of a 1797 Ohio Company land grant from Rufus Putnam. Did he shake hands with Rufus…I’m gonna go with ya, he did, otherwise I’ve typed items 1-3 for nothing. The deed was signed by both parties, so even that’s close enough!
- Rufus Putnam, as an associate of George Washington, shook his hand.
There you have it – 5 degrees of separation between me and George Washington. I’ll have to think if I can come up with any less-removed connection on my tree.
What about you?