A Little Legalese
habendum clause (həb-ben-dəm) 1. The part of an instrument, such as a deed or will, that defines the extent of the interest being granted and any conditions affecting the grant ◘ The introductory words to the clause are ordinarily _to have and to hold_ — also termed _to have and to hold clause_.— Bryan A. Garner, editor, Black’s Law Dictionary, 8th edition, (St. Paul, Minn.: Thomson/West, 2004), 728.
Connect With Me
- November 23, 2014
- Beyond the Docket Books: Digging For Gold In Probate PacketsStarts: 2:00 pmEnds: 3:00 pmLocation: Huron County Genealogical Society, Norwalk, Ohio
- January 5, 2015
- Using Google Books: Five Ideas For Genealogical SuccessStarts: 7:00 pmEnds: 8:00 pmLocation: East Cuyahoga County Genealogical SocietyDescription: Make exciting discoveries both online and off without ever leaving your computer chair. Five key resources allow access to a tremendous amount of genealogical information.
- March 10, 2015
- Beyond the Docket Books: Digging For Gold In Probate PacketsStarts: 7:00 pmEnds: 9:00 pmLocation: Geauga County Genealogical Society, Chardon Library, 110 East Park Street, Chardon, OH, United States
- April 4, 2015
- Unlocking the Keystone State: Key resources and Repositories for Pennsylvania ResearchStarts: 10:00 amEnds: 11:00 amLocation: Hudson Genealogical Study Group, Hudson Library and Historical Society, 96 Library Street, Hudson, Ohio 44236
- October 5, 2015
- Links to the Law: Using Online Legal Resources in Ohio ResearchStarts: 7:00 pmEnds: 8:00 pmLocation: East Cuyahoga Genealogical Society
Subscribe Via EmailEnter your email to subscribe to future updates
Category Archives: Misc.
Yesterday we learned about the poetic form, Clerihew . Today, I came across a new word while scanning through Marietta College’s Special Collections page. Today’s fun word to know and share is Incunabula From Dictionary.com: in·cu·nab·u·la [in-kyoo-nab-yuh-luh] –plural noun, singular … Continue reading
This is great news for Ohio researchers who’ve had trouble getting to the Library and Archives the one day a week they’ve been open. From the OHS Press release, which can be found at: http://www.ohiohistory.org/about/pr/060310a.html Ohio Historical Center To Increase … Continue reading
<div class=\"postavatar\"></div> I just got done watching Hi Fidelity, with John Cusack and a whole slew of other folks. (Meaning of course that John Cusack is in the movie…I wasn’t watching it with him. That would be a little strange.) … Continue reading