A Little Legalese
appurtenance (ə-pərt-[ə ]-nənts), n. Something that belongs or is attached to something else— Bryan A. Garner, editor, Black’s Law Dictionary, 8th edition, (St. Paul, Minn.: Thomson/West, 2004), 111.
Connect With Me
Subscribe Via EmailEnter your email to subscribe to future updates
- August 2, 2014
- Order in the Court! A Brief History of Ohio Courts and the Records They CreatedStarts: 10:00 amEnds: 11:00 amLocation: The Ohio Genealogical Society, Bellville, OH, United StatesDescription: Ohio’s court system has undergone numerous revisions since its Northwest Territory days. Learn about the evolution of different courts, their jurisdiction, and records they created.
- August 10, 2014
- Beyond the Docket Books: Digging For Gold In Probate PacketsStarts: 7:00 pmEnds: 8:00 pmLocation: Lorain County Genealogical SocietyDescription: North Ridgeville Branch Library, 35700 Bainbridge Road
- September 8, 2014
- Using Deeds In Your Genealogical ResearchStarts: 7:30 pmEnds: 8:30 pmLocation: Independence Civic Center – Willow Room - Independence OH 44131
- October 20, 2014
- Beyond the Docket Books: Digging For Gold in Probate PacketsStarts: 7:00 pmEnds: 8:00 pmLocation: Greater Cleveland Genealogical Society - Fairview Park Library
- November 23, 2014
- Digging For Gold In Probate PacketsStarts: 2:00 pmEnds: 3:00 pmLocation: Huron County Genealogical Society, Norwalk, Ohio
- March 10, 2015
- Beyond the Docket Books: Digging For Gold In Probate PacketsStarts: 7:00 pmEnds: 9:00 pmLocation: Chardon Library, 110 East Park Street, Chardon, OH, United StatesDescription: Will books and probate dockets can provide a great deal of information about our ancestors, but the original estate (probate) file can reveal details about our ancestors and their families that no other record group is likely to document. Family relationships, occupations, personal possessions, and even family squabbles may all be contained in that little packet. Administrator bonds, inventories, sale lists, distributive accounts, and other items found in the estate file breathe life into our ancestors and provide us with a glimpse of the person behind the names and dates.
Category Archives: Houskeeping
Changes are afoot here at the Staats Place. Over the next week or so, the site will be getting a facelift. Not only that, there will be some new sections as I integrate and create sections for my professional research … Continue reading
“Ugh – another list of goals???” you ask? I’m afraid so, but I’ll try and make it painless. There is something somehow more binding when you commit goals not only to writing, but public writing. So without further adieu, here … Continue reading
I’ve just added a calendar and sidebar widget to help keep track of events. If you have a local or regional genealogy-related happening for which you would like a little extra exposure, I would be glad to post it for … Continue reading
Thereby making it a little easier to comment
<div class=\"postavatar\"></div> For any of you Twitter users, I added a plug-in which adds a tweet each time I post to the blog. Pretty slick.
So here I am re-entering the blogging world. My first attempt was genealogy-related, but this is a little more general blog…or at least I think it will be. Who knows?